Recipe: rainy day soup
Don’t let the rain stop play – in the kitchen, at least. Try this creamy roasted mushroom and onion soup from snackndoodle, topped with a golden pastry umbrella, the perfect comfort food for those wet rainy days.
You will need:
- 1kg Chestnut Mushrooms (include skin and stalks)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1L mushroom stock
- 120ml single cream
- 375g packet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180° Fan/400°F)
- In a large baking tray lay out the whole chestnut mushrooms and drizzle over the olive oil and salt. Roast for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and herbs, cooking until soft and fragrant.
- When the mushrooms are ready, roughly chop and then add to the onion pan, along with the Worcester and soy sauce.
- Next pour in the stock, bring the whole thing to the boil and then reduce heat to a simmer, putting a lid on the pan and leaving to simmer for 15mins.
- While this is cooking, make your pastry umbrellas and make sure your oven is still preheated to 200°C (180° Fan/400°F).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and using your cookie cutter, stamp out as many umbrellas as you can from the pastry. Make sure you have 4 pretty ones as these will be placed on top of the soup, the rest can be used for dipping.
- Brush each pastry umbrella with a little of the egg yolk and then bake in the oven for 8 – 10 mins until puffy and golden brown. Leave to cool.
- When your soup has simmered, blend it in batches until smooth and then stir in the single cream.
- Pour your soup into bowls to serve, topping each with a pastry umbrella and optional to dot cream to give a polkadot/rain effect.
Hungry more, more, more? Check out other playful recipes from snackdoodle here a food blog by Ellen, full of simple, seasonal recipes, inspired by childhood memories and fun experiences we all have of the holidays and celebrations throughout the year. Each recipe is accompanied by an easy-to-follow cooking video, making it the ideal fun food to make at home with family and friends.